Bug in TL 2024? Cannot create file in upper directory.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Apr 7 10:25:07 CEST 2024

> khzimmer wrote:
>
> thank you for the answer, I have tested it: If setting openout_any to a,
> all works fine.
>
> However, my users are no TeX experts, they actually know next to nothing
> about TeX, so that's a problem.
>
> I cannot change $TEXMFOUTPUT because my main output should still be in
> the crrent directory. Just a few files should be created in some other
> place.
>
> Also, I cannot use os.rename() either (for miving the file to the target
> folder, after it was written), since that seems ot listen to the same
> settings, too.

https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2024-March/050275.html

seems to say --shell-escape would solve your problem (with the security implications that go with --shell-escape though). I tried : "lualatex testing_io.open.tex" gives

[\directlua]:1: Could not open file "../Testfile" for writing
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'assert'
[\directlua]:1: in main chunk.

"lualatex --shell-escape testing_io.open.tex" doesn't

The above message also confirms what you observed running lualatex --luaonly: only luatex is affected by the restrictions, not texlua.

There's mention of a new environment variable TEXMF_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, though that would be the same as TEXMFOUTPUT in your case: all output going to the same directory.

See also the more detailed

https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2024-March/050276.html

in the same thread.

Bruno Voisin