[tex-live] No context in TL2023 source ?

Max Chernoff mseven at telus.net
Wed Mar 22 10:01:33 CET 2023

Hi Werner,

> I wonder as distribution packager if I could install luametatex and
> its symbolirc links below /usr/bin/ and still the programs do find
> the TeXLive tree with the ConTeXt (ini) files below /usr/share/texmf/
> ... and where do the formats go ... those should below /var/cache/texmf/

How the LuaMetaTeX start up process works for a binary named "context":

1. The binary opens up a Lua file in the same folder with the same name.
   So if the binary is /usr/local/bin/context, then it runs a script
   /usr/local/bin/context.lua

2. By default, context.lua just opens mtxrun.lua.

3. mtxrun.lua does a lot of stuff, but the most relevant thing here
   that it does is look for a file "texmfcnf.lua". You can change the paths
   that it searches by searching for "resolvers.luacnfspec=concat" in the
   file and changing the paths that follow to whatever you want.

4. texmfcnf.lua contains the actual configuration for the paths. You
   should in theory be able to change these paths to whatever you want.

Unfortunately, most of this isn't very documented. I'm just a ConTeXt
user (not a developer), so some of this may be wrong. You might have
better luck with ConTeXt mailing list (ntg-context at ntg.nl).

Hopefully this is at least somewhat helpful,
-- Max