tlmgr.bat init-usertree failed without any message

Takuto Asakura tkt.asakura at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 04:49:53 CET 2023

Hi Norbert,

I was running a Texdoc CI and noticed that the TeX Live install action, which succeeded a few days ago, is failing today (only on Windows). Specifically, tlmgr.bat init-usertree fails with error code 127.

	- Sucessful CI run a few days ago: https://github.com/TeX-Live/texdoc/actions/runs/4453301335
	- CI run with a failure: https://github.com/TeX-Live/texdoc/actions/runs/4475117418/jobs/7864410052#step:12:3720

As it happens that TeX Live 2023 has just been released, I suspect that this is due to a mismatch between the version of TeX Live installed by the installer (TL2023) and the version supported by the tlnet repository (TL2022 or older). So I will try to re-run it in a few days, but I am concerned that tlmgr init-usertree is failing without error messages. I'm not 100% sure if the cause is really a version mismatch, but is it possible to get tlmgr to emit some kind of error message?

Best,
Takuto