tlmgr update texhash

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Mar 16 23:52:15 CET 2023

Hi

> tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed -repository
> <somewhere>
>
> I get updates and new packages (if TeX Live is not frozen) and messages
> about their installation.
>
> I do not remember seeing any messages about updates of "ls-R"-files at the
> end of those messages.

There is. The first thing after the updates are done, here an example
with only a single update:

++++++++++++++
[1/1, ??:??/??:??] update: japanese-otf-nonfree [38k] (360 -> 368 at tlcontrib) ... done
running mktexlsr ...
done running mktexlsr.
+++++++++++++

Maybe you are looking for "texhash" which should anyway not be used. Use
mktexlsr.

> Now this happened: I updated a package and had to increase the number of
> included .sty files. It is at CTAN, and in the repositories, and users do
> tlmgr update, and:
>
> Expected: TeX Live finds all of those files.
> Seen by user: Error, file not found.

Not enough information.

> Running texhash manually by the user said:
>
> texhash: /home/<username>/.texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: no write permission,
> skipping...
> texhash: /home/<username>/.texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R: no write permission,
> skipping...
> texhash: /home/<username>/.texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: no write permission,
> skipping...
> texhash: Updating /home/frazar/.texlive/texmf-var/ls-R...
> texhash: Done.

Irrelevant. Files installed by tlmgr are NOT installed into $TEXMFLOCAL
or $TEXMFCONFIG

> After removing the write protection and running texhash again, the .sty
> files are found. Problem for that user solved.

Sounds rather cryptic.

> - Does "tlmgr update" internally try to update the ls-R-files and fails? It
> should inform the user about this failure!

If it fails, it warns about it.

But tlmgr does NOT update local user files (the ones listed above).

> - Does "tlmgr update" not even try to update the ls-R-files (for packages
> which are updated vs. packages which are newly installed)? It should inform

No. I t *does* of course update the ls-R files, otherwise it would be
broken.

> While I run texhash regularly anyway because of changes in my
> ./tex/latex/local, that is probably not the case for an average user.

You should NOT run texhash/mktexlsr on $TEXMFHOME and remove the ls-R
file there.

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live