Indexing fonts

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun Jan 22 14:16:04 CET 2023

Hi Peter,

> at http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/fontuse.html so all

Some comments:

----------
The paragraph after the CM introduction/set in CM starts with

	LATEX also comes with the *** There are some extra fonts
	generously donated ..

This is not understandable to me.

----------
Concerning
	$ kpsewhich --expand-var '$TEXMFSYSVAR'
I suggest the simpler
	kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR
since no quoting is needed.

---------
Concerning the activation of all fonts from TL for fontconfig.
I know that we have the file TEXMFSYSVAR/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf
but my personal experience is that activating all fonts via that file
can be rather dangerous. I had fontconfig crashing on me on some fonts
(not sure if this is still the case, though)

---------
Concerning Exercise 6.2
I would throw in
	/usr/local/share/fonts
since quite some people install their fonts there

--------
Last comment:

> first-time user, who is possibly not a very savvy computer user.

I have the feeling that the level of detail is not really for "not very
savvy computer users and first-time LaTeX users".
There is a lot of stuff in there.

Thanks for all your work on that, this is much appreciated!

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live