Typeface identification

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Wed Apr 26 08:48:01 CEST 2023

Peter,

 > I am not trying to capture all design features, just those that are
 > immediately explainable and visible to a beginner.
 >
 > If anyone else has done this before, please scream now :-)

In 1991, I bought "Rookledge's International Typefinder". Sarema Press,
1990, curiously marked as "not for sale in the UK". It lists over 700
typeface specimens in several categories. As a second method for
identifying a font is the use of a selection order of "earmarks"
(Capital letters, lower case letters, figures).

A more recent acquisition is Erik Spiekermann's "Sheep book" ("Find our
how type works", 4th ed., The Other Collection, 2022) with tons of type
examples; it has a three-page "typeface index".

Later,
Andreas