TEXMFHOME on Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Apr 9 13:51:59 CEST 2023

On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 11:29:47AM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> A user has asked me why a private class file isn't being found. They are
> running TL under Windows (I have asked them which versions) and has put the
> file in C:/Users/username/texmf which is what TEXMFHOME gets expanded to.
>
> My understanding is that TEXMFHOME does not need any ls-R database, but my
> understanding of Windows is poor; and I thought the canonical location was
> Computer\System\Users\username\texmf (avoiding the need for C:, D:, etc)
>
> I have asked them to move the file to
> C:/Users/username/texmf/tex/latex/username/algoslides.cls and report back.
>
> If C:/Users/username/texmf is created at install time, presumably no further
> action is needed by a user, but do they need to use the TDS structure within
> that directory?
>
> Peter

The windows version of $HOME is %userprofile%. TEXMFHOME is by
default set to %userprofile%/texmf, which is indeed usually
C:/Users/username/texmf.

The user has to create both this directory and its subdirectory
tex/latex, according to the TDS.

Your understanding is correct that this tree does not require an
ls-R.

Beware that Windows Explorer may display a localized name instead of
'Users', e.g. 'Gebruikers'. I am not sure whether the actual
directory name is ever localized.

--
Siep Kroonenberg