TEXMFHOME on Windows

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Apr 9 12:29:47 CEST 2023

A user has asked me why a private class file isn't being found. They are
running TL under Windows (I have asked them which versions) and has put
the file in C:/Users/username/texmf which is what TEXMFHOME gets
expanded to.

My understanding is that TEXMFHOME does not need any ls-R database, but
my understanding of Windows is poor; and I thought the canonical
location was Computer\System\Users\username\texmf (avoiding the need for
C:, D:, etc)

I have asked them to move the file to
C:/Users/username/texmf/tex/latex/username/algoslides.cls and report back.

If C:/Users/username/texmf is created at install time, presumably no
further action is needed by a user, but do they need to use the TDS
structure within that directory?

Peter