Feature request: package for font 'Gelasio', metrically compatible with 'Georgia'

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Sat Apr 8 00:39:45 CEST 2023

On 2023-04-07 at 20:48:45 +0200, Thomas Fischer wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I would like to request the creation and inclusion of a package for
 > font 'Gelasio' into TeX Live. Gelasio [1] is a font published under
 > the OFL 1.1 and mimics Microsoft's Georgia font to which its metrics
 > are compatible.
 > As such, Gelasio is a legal drop-in if documents have to be created
 > on non-Microsoft systems where the requirement is to 'use Georgia'.
 >
 > The package should ideally ship both OpenType font files for use
 > with Lua(La)TeX and Xe(La)TeX as well as all the magical files to
 > make it work with pdf(La)TeX. The user, irrespective of TeX flavour,
 > would only need to issue
 > \usepackage{gelasio}
 > or equivalent.
 >
 > Thank you for considering this request!
 >
 > Greetings,
 > Thomas Fischer
 >
 > [1] https://github.com/SorkinType/Gelasio

Hi Thomas,
thank you very much for the link.  Georgia is one of the beautiful
fonts created by Matthew Carter which display well on paper and also
on screen.

TeX Live only supports packages which are on CTAN.  It would be nice
if you upload the fonts to CTAN:

   https://ctan.org/upload

It's probably not useful to upload the variable fonts and webfonts
(*.woff2) to CTAN as well because TeX can't do anything with them.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de