Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour (Keiran Harcombe)

Christopher Dimech dimech at gmx.com
Thu Sep 29 16:33:36 CEST 2022

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2022 at 12:59 AM
From: "peacecop kalmer:" <kalmer at test.tennis24.ee>
To: tex-live at tug.org
Subject: Re: Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour (Keiran Harcombe)
Is it possible to use BigBlueButton without having an account? Is it possible to keep rooms always open?
Is it possible that all the users in a room share their screens at the same time?
How does BigBlueButton share bandwidth? It costs a lot to have at least 250 Mb / s bandwidth for the server machine. i only have 50 Mb / s which might not be sufficient for serving BigBlueButton.
For Jitsi, one does not have to install anything although it is possible. we can just go to meet.jit.si/<room name>.

* Someone does need an account for BigBlueButton.  But others can join without accounts.
Yes, one can keep rooms open, and have them inform you where they are present by simply speaking.

On 29.09.22 15:29, damien at thiriet.web4me.fr[mailto:damien at thiriet.web4me.fr] wrote:Try BigBlueButton.
https://bigbluebutton.org/[https://bigbluebutton.org/]

Free if you install it on your server (but you need a larger bandwidth than the usual one).

OpenSource project, I used it for my lessons during the lockdowns (this means somehow 16 months). And I teach in secondary school, so I do need a good working interface that can be used by young pupils.

Works better than Jitsi, because it is designed for large groups (protocol used by Jitsi divides the bandwiths amoung users, so the more users, the more problems).