Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour

Christopher Dimech dimech at gmx.com
Tue Sep 27 14:24:46 CEST 2022

> Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 11:43 PM
> From: "Zdenek Wagner" <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech at gmx.com>
> Cc: "Ulrike Fischer" <news3 at nililand.de>, "TeXhax" <texhax at tug.org>, "TeX Live" <tex-live at tug.org>

Remember that two years ago, work with New York State Attorney General
Letitia James led to the launch of an inquiry into Zoom's privacy and
security practices, with Zoom continuing with its policy of not admitting
to any wrongdoing whatsoever.

> In the open source world meritocracy is applied. Those who contribute
> most have higher right to decide. Those who do not contribute can file
> a feature request but they have no right to decide. I have good
> experience with zoom, terrible experience with MS Teams and Jitsi is
> difficult, it happened several times that other users were not able to
> connect.
>
> Anyway, if you develop an alternative to zoom which will be equally
> stable and available at reasonable price, I will probably switch to
> it.

I understand your point.  There would be benefits that would bring those
who currently refuse Zoom for them to speak or for them to listen to your
meetings.  Still, many do contribute even though they do not get involved
in any such meetings.

The only people who would benefit from what I said in your community itself,
I do not gain much from it.  As you said, I have no rights or authority to
decide anything.  I leave the community to take the direction it wants.
You do it on your own and at your risk, and I will not be involved in it.
In my community, you are welcome, but we do not use Zoom, that's all.

Thank you so very much
Kristof