Adobe ditching Type 1 fonts

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:20:11 CEST 2022

> Am 21.09.22 um 10:09 schrieb Paulo Ney de Souza:
>
> you know that about acrobat reader or you assume that?
>
> The announcement says "no changes to Acrobat handling Type 1" which may
> or may not include Acrobat Reader but I would have expected that it does
> and Reader is *not* affected.
>
> Frank

Frank, the text is extremely misleading. It literally says:

   *No changes are being made to Acrobat. Acrobat will continue handling PDFs*

*   in the same manner it has been for more than 20 years.*

and then goes on to describe how it will display PDFs. The problem is Acrobat

does a lot more than just DISPLAY. You can sign, annotate, collect, share ...

I am pretty sure the display will stay the same, after all PDF is now an ISO

standard, but it will be pretty nasty to loose all other operations. Open Source

does cover the display area, but it is pretty spotty on the other items.

We will suffer more on pre-press. None of the solutions posted here are able

to perform pre-press on a PDF file in any meaningful way. Pre-press is already

a problem for TeX production, it will become a larger one. To give you a simple

example -- there are NO open source tools that can determine the color space(s)

of a PDF file -- ImageMagick says it does and makes a mess out of it.

     For most production needs, it is easy to stay out of Type 1, for
some few, it will

not be easy. Incentivizing a change to Open Type will open more
possibilities, no

doubt.

Paulo Ney