Adobe ditching Type 1 fonts

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Wed Sep 21 20:51:40 CEST 2022

NP> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:03:00 +0900
NP> From: Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info>

>> Adobe announced (very quietly) a few weeks ago that they will phase out
>> Type 1 fonts from all PDF tools, this January 2023, including Adobe Reader:

NP> Who cares?

NP> I am far less concerned about some commercial tool I don't plan to use
NP> nor have used.

NP> Maybe that is a good reason for many users to ditch these rubbish
NP> products and move to better open source alternatives?

I am thinking about the people who invested a lot in proprietary fonts
in Type 1 format and Adobe line of tools.  A good font library may
cost many thousands of dollars - and there are no OTF substitutes for
some house fonts.  These investments became a pile of dry leaves.

Of course they may now invest into OTF fonts, but nobody guarantees
their fonts do not become obsolete in several years.  Actually the
opposite is as good as guaranteed.  They may want to keep old tools
and old version of operating system, and set up quarantined computer
networks to deal with security issues, but this becomes more and more
expensive with the time.

Proprietary tools seem to have many hidden costs.

--
Good luck

-Boris