Adobe ditching Type 1 fonts

Tom Kacvinsky tkacvins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 18:19:17 CEST 2022

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 11:41 AM Paulo Ney de Souza <pauloney at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Adobe announced (very quietly) a few weeks ago that they will phase out
> > > Type 1 fonts from all PDF tools, this January 2023, including Adobe
> Reader:
> >
> > Who cares?
>
> I DO!
>
> > I am far less concerned about some commercial tool I don't plan to use
> > nor have used.
> >
> > Maybe that is a good reason for many users to ditch these rubbish
> > products and move to better open source alternatives?
> > Best
> > Norbert
>
> Please send the list of Open Source tools you can use to:
>
> Check the Color Model(s) of a PDF file.
> Change/Embed a color profile on a PDF.

Some more food for thought.  What about scientific publishers who use TeX
and friends
for publishing, but often find themselves in the position of having to
clean up poorly made
graphics in Illustrator or Photoshop?  Will each of these programs continue
to use Type 1
fonts?  I don't think so.

Note well, what I am about to say is incendiary, but keep in mind I am
totally open source at
heart, I just recognize there are certain things where open source is not
viable.

I do not want to hear about open source offerings that do graphics with
Type 1 fonts, be it
bitmap or vector graphics - graphic artists generally are going to be more
adept at Adobe's
offerings than they are open source offerings as they tend to use macOS or
Windows.  Sure,
there are ports of GIMP to macOS and presumably Windows, but try getting
graphic artists
to switch over.  Have fun with that!

Tom