TeX Live 2022: Compilation *very* slow on new Ubuntu installation compared with macOS on same machine

Richard Stanton rhstanton at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 26 19:20:54 CEST 2022

Thanks, Nelson, but after a bit more experimenting, I think the problem is not with TeX Live after all. I'm sharing directories on my Mac disk on my Linux VM using hgfs, and the file I’m compiling is in a shared directory. If I put the file somewhere on the Linux disk instead, it compiles fine. And if I compile the file in the shared directory, but with the current directory set to somewhere on the Linux disk, again it works fine, so I suspect it’s something to do with the speed of writing the log file on the shared disk. Either way, the fact that it works in a non-shared directory  suggests the problem is not with TeX Live.

Best,

Richard