Packaging texlive (cleanup scripts)?

Marc mageia at mokraemer.de
Mon Nov 7 21:31:21 CET 2022

Hi,
I'm the packager of texlive for mageia.
I'm wondering if we can clearify the scripts folder some bit. By default
there are many files which inside which are executeable but should not be
(e.g. README, jar-files, yaml, ...)
Additionally we have scripts here which are or should be exposed via
/usr/bin. I assume many maintainers have lists what to link and some
symlinks like (euptex -> uplatex, texdef -> latexdef). But I was wondering
if everybody needs to make the same effort. Can't we just have a folder
with scripts to expose and their name? In my build process I have a bunch
of find with excludes and symlinks etc. I find this error prone and it is
hard to maintain.

I'd suggest to have a folder (e.g. export-scripts) with symlinks to the
real files, which can be installed/symlinked by any maintainer.

What do you think?

Marc