CLI completion: lualatex ≠ pdflatex and xelatex

Jim Diamond JimDiamond at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 5 17:55:07 CET 2022

Hi Denis,

On Sat, Nov  5, 2022 at 14:41 (+0100), Denis Bitouzé wrote:

> Le 04/11/22 à 17h37, Jim Diamond a écrit :

>> Hi Denis,

> Hi Jim,

>> I am running Slackware64 15.0, and I see the same problem (except I
>> use tex, not latex).

>> In my case, the file /usr/share/zsh/5.8/functions/_tex starts with
>>         #compdef tex latex slitex pdftex pdflatex jadetex pdfjadetex xetex=tex xelatex=latex latexmk

>> and I notice that if I remove the '=tex' from 'xetex=tex' and start up
>> a new zsh, all is good.

> Nice! The drawback is that such a modification would be erased by an
> update of the `zsh` package of the GNU/Linux distribution. Do you know
> if it is possible to have a local version of this configuration file?

I tried moving the edited file to my ~/.zsh-functions (which is one of
the directories in my fpath variable) and restoring the original
/usr/share/zsh/5.8/functions/_tex file.  This would stay with you over
zsh system upgrades, but that might not be a good thing, since you
might miss out on updates to zsh's _tex file.

[[ As was mentioned, the right thing to do (if the problem persists, see
below) is to file a bug report with the zsh people. ]]

After the file moving above, I started up a new shell, which recreated
~/.zcompdump.

After this, xetex (and xelatex (?!)) did The Right Thing.  I then
deleted the file from my ~/.zsh-functions directory, deleted
~/.zcompdump, and started a new shell, which recreated the .zcompdump
file.

Things still work now.  I have no explanation for this, other than the
fact that possibly my older .zcompdump had something wrong in it.
Unfortunately, that is a file I don't back up, so I can't look and see
what was there.

Good luck.

                                Jim