`texdoc` search algorithm and language settings

Nicola Talbot lists at dickimaw-books.com
Sat Nov 5 10:42:48 CET 2022

On 05/11/2022 06:21, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> [Texdoc 3.4.1 (2022-03-19), without personal configuration file]
>

> How is language-specific documentation selected?  For example, the
> default language environment settings on my GNU/Linux box are
>
> ```
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=de
> ```
>
> Doing one of the following
>
> ```
> texdoc impnattypo
> LANGUAGE=en texdoc impnattypo
> ```
>
> however, displays `impnattypo-fr.pdf`.  I have to say
>
> ```
> LANG= texdoc impnattypo
> ```
>
> to eventually get `impnattypo.pdf`.
>
> This behaviour doesn't look right to me.  Why is the `LANGUAGE`
> setting ignored?  And, more severe: Why is `LANG=en_US.UTF-8` ignored?
>

>      Werner

I've found that texdoc now only seems to recognise LC_ALL. Previously it
picked up the localisation setting correctly without LC_ALL set. I have
LANG=en_GB.utf8 and LANGUAGE=en which used to be sufficient to select
English documentation. (There was a thread about it a few months ago.)

In the end I created ~/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf and put the following
line in it:

lang = en

Nicola