SIAM packages

Christopher Dimech dimech at gmx.com
Wed Nov 2 09:15:28 CET 2022

> Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2022 at 7:52 PM
> From: "Martin Sievers" <martin.sievers at schoenerpublizieren.de>
> To: tex-live at tug.org
> Subject: Re: SIAM packages
>
> Am 30.10.22 um 20:48 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> > You should remember that DANTE prepares TeX Live on a DVD which is
> > sold and this is the stopper. As written in the column, how you can
> > judge whether the price is just for production and not for the
> > contents.
>
> As one of the people involved in the process I can tell you, that we
> produce the DVDs in close cooperation with all TeX user groups. All
> other user groups pay a little bit more than the production costs to
> give us some buffer for expensive "disasters" like failures due to wrong
> master DVD etc. Fortunately this does not happen too often, but it did
> in the past. Therefore I think this is still legitimate and no "selling".
>
> Lehmanns Media used to sell the DVD, but this is no longer valid. At
> least I am not aware of a recent order from their side.
>
> So it remains a rather academic discussion. From my point of view there
> is no business model involved at all.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin

One may redistribute TeX Live, with or without modification, for profit or not,
according to the Free Software tenets defined by the Free Software Foundation.
That said, I disapprove with much of the ideas and work of the TeX User Groups
Committee Members, particularly those in the UK.

Whilst they ask us for discussions, assistance and help, their invitations
are most commonly dishonest as they are not really interested in what we say
but only in propagating their point of view and way of doing things.

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://www.fsf.org/     https://www.gnu.org