tlshell & perl Win 10 64

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Mon May 30 23:53:03 CEST 2022

On 2022-05-30 at 17:48:30 +0300, Roman Maciuk wrote:

 > On Windows 10 x64 suddenly C:\texlive\2020\bin\win32\tlshell.exe
 > stopped executing (just now!!)
 > But it was good as far as yesteday!
 > Sais "this application cannot be executed on your PC"
 > Same happens with perl.exe
 > I wonder, what ran wrong?

Hello Roman,

 > Last thing I did was trying to execute "perl5.30.1.exe Makefile.PL"
 > for Tk extension to perl Thank you.

Perl version 5.30.1 is older than the version provided by TeX Live
(5.34.0).  If the version of Perl you installed yourself breaks
anything in TeX Live you could try to type

   tlmgr conf texmf TEXLIVE_WINDOWS_TRY_EXTERNAL_PERL 0

on the command line.  Regarding the last argument: 0 means 'false' and
1 means 'true'.  Perl scripts shipped with TeX Live will then use the
Perl provided by TeX Live.  The drawback is that scripts requiring
non-standard Perl modules will not work.

A better solution is to remove your local Perl installation, install
version 5.34.0, and try again.  But please check whether the new Perl
works with TeX Live before you try to install additional modules.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de