makeindex broken in TL22

ttk at t-lab.opal.ne.jp ttk at t-lab.opal.ne.jp
Mon May 23 13:25:35 CEST 2022

Hi Frank, all,

I have committed patches of makeindex r63361, r63365
in order to improve heuristic detection of page numbers between roman number and alphabet.
The new algorism will fix issues caused by ambiguous inputs.
The new test cases are included in Build/sources/texk/makeindexk/tests/
https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/makeindexk/tests/
It is still heuristic and not perfect,
but will correctly detect roman number and alphabet in most realistic cases.

I think makeindex in TL20 or earlier will fail to detect roman number in the following input.
I do not think TL21 is worse than TL20 or earlier.

input:

\indexentry {foo}{i-13}
\indexentry {foo}{i-15}
\indexentry {foo}{i-16}