Accessibility and ease of use

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:45:01 CET 2022

Hi all,

maybe I forgot to write that it is even more difficult. I had a
running software and then I upgraded Fedora. After upgrade the SW
ceased to work. I found that the maintainers decided to put
Time::Local into a package which is not installed as default, I had to
install it. The same happened with some octave functions which were
moved to packages no longer installed as default. Fedora upgrades are
available twice a year which means that things may cease to work
within the life time of TL distro and installation of Fedora packages
can be needed. TL maintainers do not know tne names of the packages in
all distros. If you need a perl module, you can ask "apt-cache search"
in Debian based distros, "yum search" in CentOS, "dnf search" in
Fedora, I do not know other distros. The output is human readable but
not easily parseable.

The remedy would be not to use perl-based SW in TeX Live but rewrite
all scripts to lua which is supplied with TL. I know that it needs a
lot of time and (wo)man-power so it will not happen soon.

Zdeněk Wagner