HiTeX missing \savinghyphcodes

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 10:33:08 CET 2022

Related to this, hi(la)tex is not set up in fmtutil.cnf so you have to
build the formats by hand.

hitex --etex --ini plain

appears to build a working plain tex in cygwin 64 pretest and the resulting
hint file works with the windows hint viewer
but latex fails, if I make an ini file to temporary avoid th
savinghyphencodes issue

hilatex.ini

\countdef\savinghyphcodes1000
\input latex.ini

then

 hitex --etex --ini --ltx hilatex.ini

makes a hilatex format but using it segfaults:

$     hitex --fmt hilatex sample2e
This is HiTeX, Version 3.141592653, HINT version 1.4 (preloaded
format=hilatex)
entering extended mode
entering prote mode
(sample2e.tex
LaTeX2e <2021-11-15> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2022-02-24> ("article.cls"
Document Class: article 2021/10/04 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class
("size10.clo")) ("l3backend-dvips.def") ("sample2e.aux") ("omscmr.fd")
(sample2e.aux)Segmentation fault (core dumped)

David