file names

Markus Kohm komascript at gmx.info
Wed Jun 22 11:14:19 CEST 2022

Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2022, 10:36:36 CEST schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> I am not sure but I think that includgeraphics considers everything
> after the first dot an extension

This is not correct. graphicx uses \filename at parse and end of 2019 the LaTeX
kernel has been changed to take the last dot not the first one. Note, that
rollback to a prior version (e.g. 2019/04/01) would also rollback to the old
\filename at parse.

You can simply test it using:

% \RequirePackage[2019/04/01]{latexrelease}
% The code of the follwing filecontents environment is from grfguide.
\begin{filecontents*}{a.test.from.graphics.eps}
%!
%%BoundingBox:0 0 72 72
0 0 moveto
72 72 rlineto
72 neg 0 rlineto
72 72 neg rlineto
stroke
0 0 moveto
/Times-Roman findfont
72 scalefont
setfont
(A) show
showpage
\end{filecontents*}
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{a.test.from.graphics.eps}

\includegraphics{a.test.from.graphics}
\end{document}

This should work, but if you'll remove the % from the beginning of the first
line, it should fail with error "LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension:
.test.from.graphics.eps."

AFAIK this is not notes in ltnews30, but there is another note in ltnews32
about another issue with several dots in file names. And in ltnews33 there is
more information about "Improved handling of file names".

Markus