install-tl change of behavior for setting TEXMFHOME ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 19 23:09:02 CEST 2022

    Has install-tl changed behavior recently (e.g., past two weeks) in
    terms of how TEXMF configurations are set?

Not intentionally, but we (Norbert and I) have been playing with the
directory-setting code, so indeed, a bug like this seems probable.

    Could someone point me to a change log?

Unfortunately we don't keep a separate ChangeLog file for this, but our
commit log msgs are here (or on the github mirror, if you prefer):
https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/install-tl?view=log
https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/commits

    I'm not sure, but I think the output in this case (even when the
    script was run with sudo) used to be: /home/<my user name>/texmf.

I do seem to recall having a special case so that root's home dir was
not used. What is the value of your HOME envvar after sudo?

Thanks,
Karl