failed "trying to unwind"

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 13:29:44 CEST 2022

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     Could there be an general option "never remove forcibly" or
>     "always reinstall forcibly"?
>
> There could be. The problem is that occasionally packages are renamed,
> which amounts to removal of the old package and addition of the new one,
> which will end in a bad situation if the removal isn't done.
>
> That doesn't happen often, though. Clearly the unanticipated removal of
> perfectly-fine packages is a worse and more common outcome on Windows.
>
> I wonder if it's possible to somehow override the fail-if-a-file-is-open
> behavior in our internal tar used on Windows (Master/source/tar-w32.*).
> Or at least detect it. That's the fundamental source of the problem.

Yes, and has different implications if the open file is not the same version
as the one the tar archive.  Keeping the old package seems reasonable,
but it is easy to miss a warning message for one package when installing
dozens, so it could be helpful to produce a summary of the installation:

N packages updated
M packages not updated: download problem
O packages not updated: overwriting open file(s) not allowed on Windows
P packages not updated< <due to reason ...>

For details see: <location of log file>

> [...]
>     In any case all tar versions I could find in windows and in texlive
>     don't know a --warning option.
>
> It's only in GNU tar :(.  -k

GNU tar is available for Windows from Cygwin and Msys2.  Windows 10 now
provides BSD tar.

The current set of POSIX-like utilities provided by TeX Live has been a
source of
confusion.  I assume Microst's Universal CRT will require changes.  It
might be
worth looking at the Msys2 toolchain used by the R-project. They provide
Rtools40
which allows users to build packages on Windows, but official packages are
built
using MXE <https://mxe.cc/> cross compilers on linux.

R-project has been relatively successful at providing uniform user
experience
across POSIX-like and Windows platforms.  For non-Western languages,
UCRT helps reduce differences between POSIX-like and Windows systems.

--
George N. White III