[LaTeX] Re: beamer and inputenc (utf8x) issue

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:52:24 CEST 2022

pá 1. 7. 2022 v 10:37 odesílatel Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> napsal:

> Am Fri, 1 Jul 2022 10:26:29 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > in fact the problem is inputenc.
>
> No it is not. \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} works fine (but one
> doesn't have to load it anymore as is it the default in pdflatex
> since a few years).
>
> The problem is with the concrete implementation of utf8 handling in
> ucs/utf8x.
>

> > If your input is in UTF8, it is better to use an engine working
> > internaly in Unicode, i.e luatex or xetex.
>
> Millions of documents use utf8 with pdflatex without problems. I run
> 95% of my documents with pdflatex. They are all utf8-encode and as
> I'm german my texts do contain umlauts and other non-ascii chars.
> The only thing that pdflatex can't handle are combining accents.

I am not that lucky, most of my old pdflatex documents fail. I often
have \everypar containing a macro with one parameter for setting an
initial. If I output it as {\otherfont #1} and the token is the first
octet of a multioctet character, it fails. Character V as an initial
needs an extra kern thus if the macro contains \if#1V and #1 is the
first octet of a multioctet character, it fails. I often use
\futurelet\testchar\dosomething and if \testchar becomes the first
octet of a multioctet character, \dosomething fails. And it happens
even without hyperref. I stopped using pdflatex a few years ago. Now I
have 15 versions of TeX Live installed and when I have to recompile an
old document, I go back in history and try, in which version of TL the
document works. It is quite common for me that he old pdflatex
documents do not work in the current TL.

Zdeněk Wagner