SyncTeX not working right with LuaLaTeX in TeX Live

Benedikt Wilde bwilde at posteo.de
Tue Jan 18 23:45:29 CET 2022

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing an issue with SyncTeX and LuaLaTeX in TeX Live. When I
run `lualatex` with `-synctex=1`, the synchronization between the PDF
and the TeX file does not work correctly. For example, typesetting the
attached example file and Ctrl + Clicking on the "1" in the resulting
PDF in the TeXstudio previewer takes me to the `3` in the source. In
real documents the difference can be much larger.

Searching online I found a matching bug report in TeXstudio's bug
tracker from three years ago [1] but it has long been closed as the
people there deemed it to be a bug in TeX Live. As I could not find
anything else (but the issue is still present in an up to date TeX
Live), I also asked a question about it on Stack Exchange with some more
detail [2].

[1]: https://github.com/texstudio-org/texstudio/issues/590
[2]: https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/630528/48973

Here's the gist of what I know:

- The issue appears with `lualatex`, not with `pdflatex`.

- The issue appears with TeX Live on Windows, not with MiKTeX or MacTeX.

- I have confirmed the issue with both TeXstudio and TeXworks on my
machine. One tex.sx user reported the issue _not_ appearing when using
sumatra as the viewer and winedt as the editor.

I am unsure if SyncTeX is doing something wrong or if several PDF
viewers are, but since the affected TeXshop is shipped with TeX Live I
hope that this mailing list is the right place to turn to.

Thanks

Benedikt