With beamer, "Missing { inserted." (regression)

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Fri Feb 18 04:12:59 CET 2022

On 2022-02-17 18:12:10 +0100, Sam Carter wrote:
> The behaviour changed with the commit https://github.com/josephwright/beamer/commit/87f1646bd2307010701991129e5a900019b1d48c

Any reason why this has been broken?

Even though the behavior was not officially supported, there were
no errors without the additional braces and this was simpler and
more easily readable, so that it was probably used in practice.
I can see that in many of my old .tex files (not all using beamer).

> You can make your old document work again with this workaround:
>
> \documentclass{beamer}
>
> \renewcommand{\textnormal}{\beameroriginal{\textnormal}}

Unfortunately, this makes pdflatex fail with TeX Live 2018.
With .tex files shared among several users, this must work
will all the TeX Live versions around.

I added additional braces. Fortunately, only 2 changes in the file
were sufficient.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>