TeX Live license issue

Roland Hohler Roland.Hohler at vitronic.com
Fri Feb 11 17:10:07 CET 2022

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to use TeX Live in a commercial project to generate test protocols. Therefore I checked all licenses and found that there are some files licensed under the Aladdin Free Public License (AFPL). According to
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
Aladdin is not a free software license. It forbids commercial use. The affected files are:

In ghostscript-9.53.3
gdevmd2k.c
gdevalps.c

In avantgar.r31835
uagb8a.afm
uagbi8a.afm
uagr8a.afm
uagri8a.afm

Ghostscript should be AGPL licensed. Were the two files simply forgotten during the license switch from AFPL to AGPL? In texlive.tlpdb the license for avantgar is stated with GPL.

May I assume that the package license is the valid one if nothing else is explicitly mentioned in e.g. a Readme file?

Kind regards
Roland Hohler

Dr. phil. nat. Roland Hohler
Verkehrstechnik
Entwicklung

VITRONIC Dr.-Ing. Stein
Bildverarbeitungssysteme GmbH
Hasengartenstr. 14
65189 Wiesbaden,
Germany

Fon: +49 611 7152 367
Fax: +49 611 7152 133
www.vitronic.de<https://www.vitronic.de/>
Roland.Hohler at vitronic.com

XING<https://www.xing.com/companies/vitronicdr.-ing.steinbildverarbeitungssystemegmbh> | Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/company/vitronic-dr--ing-stein-bildverarbeitungssysteme-gmbh> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/Vitronic> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/machinevisionpeople>

VITRONIC Dr.-Ing. Stein Bildverarbeitungssysteme GmbH
Geschäftsführer:
Dr.-Ing. Norbert Stein, Gerhard Bär, Dr. Heiko Frohn,
Birgitt Stein, Matthias Pörner, Daniel Scholz-Stein

Sitz: Wiesbaden, HRB Wiesbaden 6119