TLUtils::check_on_working_mirror creates nul file on Windows

Jan Netík netikja at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:26:28 CET 2022

Hi,

when I run `tlmgr update --list --self` on Windows with recent tlmgr, a
`nul` file appears in the working directory, which is very annoying as it
is not removable in Windows Explorer and really does not play nicely with
git (which bothers me most).

After some deep digging, I think I have found the place where the issue
originates:
https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/fc5589360e8051b3c578d09ad6afdc212d375267/texk/tests/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm#L4164.
Note that if I provide a concrete repository, everything runs as expected.
Seems like the issue indeed appears only if tlmgr tries to resolve the
mirror when you use the default repository, i.e., `ctan`.

Many thanks for looking into this!

Best regards
Jan Netík