Lualatex problem with Win32 binaries in TeXLive installed under macOS

John Collins jcc8 at psu.edu
Fri Dec 23 20:53:22 CET 2022

I have TeXLive 2022 installed on macOS, but with the Win32 platform added, so
that I can share the installation with a Windows virtual machine.  Lualatex
fails with the following message when it is about to read the source file.  E.g.,

     C:\Users\john\Documents>lualatex hello
     This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.15.0 (TeX Live 2022)
      restricted system commands enabled.
     (./hello.tex
     LaTeX2e <2022-11-01> patch level 1
      L3 programming layer
<2022-12-17>...cal/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3ke
     rnel/expl3.lua:282: bad bytecode register
     stack traceback:
             [C]: in function 'lua.getbytecode'
             ...cal/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/expl3.lua:282:
in main chunk

             [C]: in function 'require'
             [\directlua]:1: in main chunk.
     \lua_now:e #1->\__lua_now:n {#1}

     l.1
       \documentclass{article}
     ?

In contrast, the problem does not occur for lualatex from a native installation
of TeXLive 2022 on the Windows VM.  But it does occur if I use a portable
installation that has created on a USB stick by the unix installer under macOS.
This is the only problem I have seen in the shared TeXLive installation.

The corresponding problem also occurs if I use the Win32 lualatex from last
year, i.e., TL 2021, again when the installation was made and maintained under
macOS.  So this is not a new problem.

In summary, I find that the Win32 binary for lualatex fails when it is in a
TeXLive installation created by the unix installer under macOS, but not when it
is in an installation created by the Windows installer.

Does anyone have wisdom on this?

John Collins