TLshell aborts with message "Back end gone"

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 21 23:15:46 CET 2022

Am 21.12.2022 um 17:39 schrieb Uwe Siart:
> On my Windows 10 box TLshell (tlmgr GUI) aborts with the message "Back
> end gone". I can't tell since when the problem exists since I routinely
> use tlmgr on the command line. But as a rough guess I would say that it
> still worked one week ago.

Hello Uwe,

I also encountered that problem. On my system it also tells me, "Last
command: version"

I tried it also with an 2021 installation and saw the same behaviour.

When I accessed the drive containing texlive by Samba on a Tablet, the
tlshell program seemed to work (it couldn't make any changes due to
missing permissions). But after that also the tlshell on the tablet
behaved similarly. After some time the problems on the tablet vanished
and it works normally again.

It seems, that it interferes with some other program in Windows, even if
I start it with an empty PATH variable.

Fortunately the tlmgr command line version works without problems.

Kind regards

Alois