Tlmgr suddenly fails

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Wed Dec 21 23:00:00 CET 2022

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 10:24:05PM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 10 Dec 2022 11:48:56 +0900 (GMT+09:00) schrieb Norbert
> Preining:
>
> > Hi Alois,
> >
> > I guess you are talking about the TclTk frontend to tlmgr, since
> > the command line utility does run.
> >
> > Can you start the GUI from the cmd window and see if there are
> > any strange messages besides what you sent?
>
> On windows 11 I get from "tlmgr GUI" the message that Tk.pm is not
> found. (See hopefully attached screenshot)
>
> I didn't try on windows 10 yet.
>
> Ulrike

tlmgr -gui tries to invoke the Perl/Tk module, which is no longer
part of the perl included in TL for windows. So this is expected.

The 'backend gone' message is the tcl/tk frontend saying that it has
lost contact with tlmgr, presumably because it crashed. On a freshly
installed minimal TL for windows 10 it worked fine for me. I need to
think how to debug this.

--
Siep Kroonenberg