Network upgrades at Utah

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Mon Dec 19 18:45:50 CET 2022

On Saturday 17-Dec-2022, we completed a handover of Mathematics
Department networking to a campus-wide entity, which involved moving
hundreds of network connections from our existing switches to newer
switches, as well as updating numerous virtual network maps.

Most of this went smoothly, although there were some firewall issues
that blocked certain kinds of inbound traffic for about five hours.
Web and FTP server connections should have seen only a few seconds of
network connection interruptions.

The main benefits of the upgrade are that we now have newer network
switches that another campus group is charged with maintaining and
paying for future hardware upgrades, and that our departmental
connection speed to the Internet has gone from a maximum of 10 Gb/s to
40 Gb/s.  I have been told that the entire utah.edu domain has about
400 Gb/s bandwidth to the Internet.

The public Web addresses possibly affected by the move are

	tug.ctan.org
	ctan.math.utah.edu
        ftp.math.utah.edu
	rsync.math.utah.edu
        www.math.utah.edu

- University of Utah                                                          -