Type 1 fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Dec 6 11:34:31 CET 2022

Some of you may have heard of Adobe's announcement that they're dropping Type 1 font support <https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html>. Apps in the Creative suite will display them but not allow modifying content, and Photoshop won't even display them.

For example, yesterday opening a PDF file from the 90s in Illustrator, and dealing with font substitution upon import (the paper used MathTime), I was greeted with a warning that Illustrator would stop supporting Type 1 fonts by January 2023.

Similarly, the PostScript specification has vanished from Adobe's site, and their PostScript presentation page <https://www.adobe.com/products/postscript.html> now speaks of PostScript in the past tense and writes "Today, Adobe PDF has replaced PostScript as the preferred print file format and is also the dominant format for document sharing and collaboration across devices and platforms".

This all got Ghostscript users worried and gave a thread on the gs-devel list, starting at <https://ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2022-December/010594.html>. Given the implications any change of attitude of Ghostscript with respect to Type 1 would have for the TeX world, I thought you'd be interested by the answers one of the Ghostscript developers just gave <https://ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2022-December/010596.html>:

Q: Will the ghostscript PDF interpreter continue supporting Type 1 fonts embedded in PDFs?