left/right page lineup

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:34:00 CEST 2022

st 27. 4. 2022 v 17:43 odesílatel Robert Alessi
<alessi at robertalessi.net> napsal:

> Hi,
>
> What you describe sounds very interesting.  Did you make a package out
> of these macros?  Aside, you are right: switching columns all the time
> is certainly not the most flexible way that is.  (As you are also
> right about the line breaks.)

Unfortunately not. My zwpoetry package could be published but it has
no documentation. When typesetting the poetry books many years ago I
copied the macros from one book to another and modified them. After
some time I designed a configurable package. The bilingual macros have
a strange origin which lies in this book:
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/bharat.php

In usual LaTeX documents you have a text ant figures and tables float
within the text. However, this is a photo book, the images should have
fixed places and the text should float around them. The slides to the
lecture are in Czech but you can see that first it allows to position
the images with an auxilliary grid. Next it shows the place of the
text lines using grey lines within the grid (after defining the text
areas). When the text is inserted, the grey lines are replaced with
the text and finally the lines are removed. You can see in the example
that the width on the left page differs from the text width on the
right page and the paragraph is properly broken on the page break.
This is done by typesetting in a \vbox with \parshape and then
\vsplit. And when I learned \vsplit, it was easy to use zwpoetry with
the selected macros for the Hindi/Czech book. It has a preface in both
languages which is a prose and the sentences have different  lengths,
thus they do not have the same number of lines. It does not matter
much. Table of contents have two parts, Hindi and Czech and again in
the multipage TOC the left pages are in Hindi, right pages in Czech.
It is, of course, generated automatically. In addition, \@evenfoot
number the pages using Devanagari digits, \@oddfoot numbers them in
Arabic digits. The page numbers are sent to the respective TOCs as
numbers (\thepage) but the Hindi part converts them to Devanagari. So
I can put the macros to my web and you will have to modify them.

And I must stress that my goal was not a critical edition, I just
wanted to present myself in India and one Indian poet here in the
Czech Republic and prepare a book which was not publishe previously
and most probably another similar book will never be published.

> Best,
>
> Robert

Zdeněk Wagner