TeX Live for self publishers

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:22:40 CEST 2022

Hi Lloyd,

it is difficult to say what is the bare minimum. I am not exactlya
self publisher but I typeset books for several publishers. After
approximately 200 books I can write what I need. Basically my most
important package is zwpagelayout, not because it was developed by me,
but because I sometimes get the page description from the graphical
designer who does not understand computers and does not understand
TeX. I did not want to recalculate the design to the (La)TeX way thus
I developed a package which accepts page dimensions in the same way
how the designers think. The books often contain images therefore the
graphic package is needed. Some books are typeset in two columns thus
the multicol package is needed. If I can decide, I prefer XeLaTeX to
pdflatex. And because many of my books are not in English or even are
multilingual, I need the polyglossia package. You can definitely live
with just a few basic font, in fact the classical typography did not
use a lot of fonts which we have now but if you typeset invitations,
wedding announcement and such, you will need more fonts. I have also a
large collection of commercial fonts because the publishers want them.
I write the source directly in LaTeX and make my own macros because
each book is different Sometimes the source is in XML but the XML
tools are not part of the TeX distros. An example of such a book is
here: http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/bharat.php

If you need some information from my practice, just ask.

Zdeněk Wagner