tlmgr messes up the rights of installed/updated packagess

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:27:57 CEST 2022

ne 24. 4. 2022 v 17:16 odesílatel Tom Kacvinsky <tkacvins at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Walter Cazzola <cazzola at di.unimi.it> wrote:
>>
>> Dear TeXLive Users/Developers,
>> I have a problem with tlmgr that affects my texlive installation since TL2021.
>>
>> Context. I'm on a Linux (Fedora 35 flavor) box where I have installed texlive
>> as root with the TUG script. In this way all the users of the Linux box can
>> use LaTeX. I'm currently using an up-to-date TL2022 full installation.
>>
>> Once installed everything work as expected. Unfortunately when I run (as
>> root):
>>
>>    > tlmgr update --all
>>
>> the updated packages have their rights access changed from 755 to 700 (644 to
>> 600 if they are files). This provokes a file not found error when the user try
>> to use the updated style, class, font or documentation.
>>
>> At the moment, I tame the issue by manually searching for the wrong right
>> configurations and reverting them to the expected ones. This is a boring and
>> a quite error-prone process that I would prefer to avoid.
>>
>> This behavior is occurring since TL2021
>> I googled around but I can't find anything on the topic.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? Do you have a way to fix it?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your help
>

> What is the rumask for the root user?  That is probably the culprit.  If it restricts
> group and other permissions, non-root users won't be able to see it .  Then it
> might be a tlmgr issue, but I don't see tlmgr playing with the umask for a user.

I also have Fedora 35 and umask for root is 0022. Anyway, it is not
necessary to install TL from TUG as a root. If it is installed by an
ordinary user in /usr/local/texlive and PATH added to bash profile for
all users (must be done by root), then that one user has r/w access
and can maintain it and other users can read and execute.

It may also be different whether you do su - and then call tlmgr or
whether you use sudo. Anyway, umask is the first thing what you should
try.

Zdeněk Wagner