tlmgr messes up the rights of installed/updated packagess

Walter Cazzola cazzola at di.unimi.it
Sun Apr 24 16:31:06 CEST 2022

Dear TeXLive Users/Developers,
I have a problem with tlmgr that affects my texlive installation since TL2021.

Context. I'm on a Linux (Fedora 35 flavor) box where I have installed texlive
as root with the TUG script. In this way all the users of the Linux box can
use LaTeX. I'm currently using an up-to-date TL2022 full installation.

Once installed everything work as expected. Unfortunately when I run (as
root):

   > tlmgr update --all

the updated packages have their rights access changed from 755 to 700 (644 to
600 if they are files). This provokes a file not found error when the user try
to use the updated style, class, font or documentation.

At the moment, I tame the issue by manually searching for the wrong right
configurations and reverting them to the expected ones. This is a boring and
a quite error-prone process that I would prefer to avoid.

This behavior is occurring since TL2021
I googled around but I can't find anything on the topic.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you have a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your help

Walter

-