Problem with the 2022 MacTeX installer?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri Apr 22 00:56:17 CEST 2022

Seeing this message from Alan Munn on the list archive:

> I just updated my distribution to TL 2022 using the MacTeX installer. After installation, fonts in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local were not found. After running tlmgr to update packages, (using TeX Live Utility) everything is back to normal. I had quick look through the MacTeX installer scripts and don't see updmap-sys being run. Was this an oversight? I've never encountered such a problem in the past 8 years of TL installations.

For me it's rather been the opposite: a few years back, after a new MacTeX install, I needed to run updmap-sys and fmtutil-sys manually (and maybe even mktexlsr too) to ensure that the additional fonts in texmf-local were seen and the additional formats defined there were created. Now it no longer seems to be the case.

I've had a quick look at the postinstall script for MacTeX-2022 (once MacTeX.pkg has been expanded with pkgutil, it's MacTeX/TeXLive-2022-Start.pkg/Scripts/postinstall):

- As Dick Koch said, the script ends up with

	/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/universal-darwin/fmtutil-sys --all

- Before that, if your default paper size (from System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) is found to be A4, then the script runs

	if [[ "$PAPER" == "a4" ]]; then
		/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/universal-darwin/tlmgr paper $PAPER
	fi

- Other than that, no call of tlmgr nor updmap-sys.

So nothing is done font-wise.

But for me this year, after erasing my whole TeX install save for texmf-local, then installing MacTeX-2022 from scratch, and before running TeX Live utilityt, I checked:

- The map files for my texmf-local fonts had had their content added inside the map files at /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-var/fonts/map.

- The fmt files for the formats defined in texmf-local had been created inside /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-var/web2c.

Maybe this is due to the way my setup is configured:

- A file/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg list the map files to be added to those in TeX Live. It contains lines like (for MathTime, MathTime Pro 2 and Lucida)

	#! Map belleek.map
	Map mt-yy.map
	Map mtpro2.map
	Map lucida.map

- A file /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf lists which additional formats should be created and how. For example one line is

	cupplain pdftex - -translate-file=cp227.tcx cupplain.ini

Then it seems that, without requiring any action on my part, this was found and used automatically during the MacTeX install process. I've no idea why.

Maybe because my default OS paper size is A4, so tlmgr was run to make it the default for TeX, and while doing so maybe tlmgr noticed there were these updmap.cfg and fmtutil.cnf and decided to act on it?

If for some reason this isn't done, there's always the possibility to do things manually, with

	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo updmap-sys
	sudo fmtutil-sys --cnffile /Library/TeX/Local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf --missing

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin