texlua issue on raspberry pi

Tom Kacvinsky tkacvins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:24:07 CEST 2022

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 5:01 PM Henri Menke via tex-live <tex-live at tug.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 22:56 +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > On 2022-04-15 at 15:52:07 -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:
> >
> >  >> Please make sure that you are running Raspian 11 (Bullseye) since
> >  >> that's what the armhf binaries of TeX Live have been compiled
> > for.
> >  >
> >  > Apparently I'm not but I have no intention of updating the
> >  > operating system on this device. Is there no alternative approach?
> >  > I suppose I could reinstall TL2021, which didn't have this issue.
> >
> > It's definitely not desirable to compile the binaries with the latest
> > OS release, just in order to avoid these nasty libc problems.
>
> Yes and no. It's not desirable if you are on an older version of
> Raspbian, but newer versions of the Raspberry Pi hardware cannot be
> targeted by the old GCC, so either you end up with binaries that do not
> run on old Raspbian or ones that do not run on newer boards. Pick your
> poison.

I'm a little perplexed here -  are you saying an older GCC does not have a
-march
option for the newer hardware?   Maybe the default architecture is right,
but there
is an issue with the defaults for -mtune.  Could be tweaking -mtune to be
more
generic would do the trick.  I am thinking of neon - not sure if the isns
change for
the newer hardware, but you'd think the new hardware would support the neon
isns
in a binary produced by an older GCC (because the neon instruction set is
"fixed"
in some sense of fixed).

I also suppose it could be the difference between the original RiPIs being
32-bit and
the newer generation being aarch64.

One other thought I had -  it might be an issue with the binutils used by
the older distros.
There has been quite a bit of work on aarch64 support in binutils over the
last year or
so and I wonder if something in the assembler/linker might be playing a
role in this.

Tom