texlua issue on raspberry pi

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 22:56:51 CEST 2022

On 2022-04-15 at 15:52:07 -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:

 >> Please make sure that you are running Raspian 11 (Bullseye) since
 >> that's what the armhf binaries of TeX Live have been compiled for.
 >
 > Apparently I'm not but I have no intention of updating the
 > operating system on this device. Is there no alternative approach?
 > I suppose I could reinstall TL2021, which didn't have this issue.

It's definitely not desirable to compile the binaries with the latest
OS release, just in order to avoid these nasty libc problems.

For this reason Karl deliberately compiles TL for x86_64-linux on a
reasonably old system.  They perfectly work on newer systems too.

I'm also not inclined to install a newer version of Raspbian right now
either, especially because security updates are still available.
Instead I'm now compiling TeX Live on Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster).

This takes a lot of time because Raspberries are much slower than my
main machine and because I currently use only one of the four CPUs.
When I instruct Make to use all CPUs the system runs out of memory and
crashes when it tries to compile four programs at the same time.

When I succeed I'll put the binaries on my web server and let you
know.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25