MacTeX Live 2022 Install Hassels

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sun Apr 10 21:17:39 CEST 2022

Marek,

All the points I'll make below are made on the MacTeX web pages and I'd recommend them first in case of trouble.

MacTeX installs the full TeX Live in /usr/local/texlive/2022. The first thing I'd recommend if something fails is looking at that location to see if TeX is there. I'm sure it is on your machine.

Second, MacTeX installs a symbolic link which indirectly points to the binaries at

	/Library/TeX/texbin

All of our GUI apps are configured to look for TeX at that spot. When you use a GUI app (and there are tons available), point to this spot and it will work.

If you are curious and decide to follow the link and see how it works, you'll be sorry. There is a complicated history behind the link. I once gave a TUG talk opposing the design because I had a bad case of paranoia about it. Finally someone cured my delusions. All very embarrassing. But if you just trust us and point to /Library/TeX/texbin, everything will work.

Or, if you don't like that, create your own link or configure your app to go to

	/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/universal-darwin

You seem to have run into trouble because instead of running a standard GUI app, you ran pandoc. That's fine, of course. The trouble for me is that your message doesn't explain how you call pandoc, so it's impossible for me to help, and instead you dissect texbin, which brings back memories of a TUG talk and doesn't help debug.

Feel free to write me directly and I think we can solve this problem in short order.

Richard Koch
koch at uoregon.edu