Manual installation incompatible

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:25:13 CEST 2022

st 6. 4. 2022 v 11:16 odesílatel Urs Liska <git at ursliska.de> napsal:

> Am 05.04.22 um 23:18 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
> út 5. 4. 2022 v 18:46 odesílatel Urs Liska <git at ursliska.de> napsal:
>
> Am 05.04.22 um 14:50 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am afraid that you mix two things.
>
> That sounds plausible but I don't think it is the case.
>
> There is TeX Live from TUG which
> is just for any Linux, it is distro agnostic. On the contrary, some
> Linux distros provide their own TeX Live packages which are than
> installed by the distro package manager. I do not use Linux Mint hence
> i do not know which TeX distro it provides.
>
> AFAICS the newest one is TL 2019, and this is installed (through the
> distro package manager).
>
> Thus it seems to me that
> you have TeX live 2019 provided by Linux Mint, not from TUG.
>
> That is correct.
>
> Now you
> downloaded install-tl from version 2021
>
> No, I downloaded and started that from 2022.
>
> and try to install it
> (therefore the local version is reported as 2021)
>
> This I don't understand because I never installed 2021.
>
> but it no longer
> exist on the CTAN mirror. You have to downoad install-tl for 2022 in
> order to make it work.
>
> Obviously not. Locally I have the 'apt' installation of 2019, not 2021
> as the message suggests.
>
> When you unpacked install-tl-unx.tar.gz, what was the name of the
> created directory?
>
> install-tl-20220322
>
> What does ./instal-tl --version say?
>
> install-tl (TeX Live Cross Platform Installer) revision 62146
> TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2021, although I downloaded it from tug.org after 2022 was released. ??

This means that you have downloaded an old version from a mirror which
was not fully in sync. In my computer it says:

$ ./install-tl --version
install-tl (TeX Live Cross Platform Installer) revision 62745
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2022

So it should work fine if you download the latest installer.

Zdeněk Wagner