2021 relics in TeX Live 2022 distribution?

Jozef Babjak jozef.babjak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:10:26 CEST 2022

Hello!

I've just installed the 2022 distribution of TeX Live, as every April.
Kudos to all the people involved in this amazing distribution, very
appreciated!

However, it seems that there are some relics of the previous year
distribution. Namely:

1) The default installation directory prefix seems to be
/usr/local/texlive/2021/; I had to manually changed it to
/usr/local/texlive/2022. I'm keeping two versions installed for some
time as a fallback option, if something goes terribly wrong.

2) I update my tex live packages [almost] daily, I have incorporated these:

tlmgr update --self
tlmgr update --all
tlmgr backup --all --clean=0

into my [Arch Linux] system update scripts, and it works like a charm.
However, now the situation is as follows:

[root at goldencut][~][20:06:03]
/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 61401 (2021-12-24 23:42:10 +0100)
tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2022
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2021
[root at goldencut][~][20:06:13]
/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr update --self

tlmgr: Local TeX Live (2021) is older than remote repository (2022).
Cross release updates are only supported with
  update-tlmgr-latest(.sh/.exe) --update
See https://tug.org/texlive/upgrade.html for details.

In another word, there also seems to be a kind of reference to 2021
still, preventing update attempts. So, is there really something wrong
with the distribution, or I simply did something wrong installing it?
Basically I installed 2022 release as a new installation, but I did
not wiped out neither any /usr/local/texlive/texfm-local/ nor
dot-directories. I do not have any local customization whatsoever, so
I don't mind to wipe out any of these, if that matters.

Jozef Babjak