tlmgr update fails on macOS 10.13.6

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Oct 29 15:54:06 CEST 2021

> On Oct 13, 2021, at 00:29 , Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know how many mirrors rely on Let's encrypt certificates, but
> I guess there is no simple way to blacklist some mirrors just for
> (older) macOS versions?

Since Safari works fine with mirrors using Let's Encrypt certs
on Mac OS 10.14, this is a really confusing problem to debug.
I just remembered this thread after coming to the same
realization on a couple of TeX Live Utility bug reports, and
thanks to Andreas and Mojca for figuring out the real cause.

For reference:
mirrors.ircam.fr <http://mirrors.ircam.fr/>
ctan.math.ca <http://ctan.math.ca/>

both use Let's Encrypt certs, and apparently need to fix the
certificate chain they're serving. What a mess.

thanks,
Adam