CMap issue in PDF file generated with recent TeX Live + Ghostscript

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Oct 16 18:59:46 CEST 2021

Am Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:30:08 +0200 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:

> Hi,
>
> After generating a PDF file with pdflatex, I usually run ps2pdf
> (from Ghostscript) to make the PDF much smaller (thanks to the
> font conversion from Type 1 to Type 1C).
>
> While there were no issues with TeX Live up to 2020, CMap gets
> broken when the original PDF file has been obtained with a recent
> TeX Live version.
>
> For instance, consider the following .tex file:
> What is causing this difference? Is this a bug in TeX Live, or only
> in Ghostscript?

LaTeX now sets \pdfgentounicode=1 by default and so adds cmaps to
the pdf. You can revert this by adding \pdfgentounicode=0 to your
document. But imho you should report this to ghostscript.

Side remark: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} is not required anymore.
utf8 is the default now.

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/