Fonts prohibiting installable embedding

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Wed Oct 6 01:18:17 CEST 2021

On Tue, 2021-10-05 at 18:07 +0200, Marcel Fabian Krüger wrote:

> In my opinion the current default in fontforge is the right choice.

With the assumption that the audience of FontForge includes authors of
both proprietary and libre fonts, I think that neither default is
correct because one half of the audience will always be unhappy.

The right thing to do would be to not have a default for this.

FontForge could have a "proprietary or libre?" prompt at font creation
time, when proprietary is chosen then a dialog could ask which of the
individual embedding bits are desired to be set.

The dialogs could explain the downsides of proprietary fonts and the
downsides of the embedding bits for users, in an attempt to steer font
authors away from making their work proprietary.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise