Fonts prohibiting installable embedding

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Tue Oct 5 12:18:56 CEST 2021

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 11:03 AM Harald Koenig <harald at mailbox.org> wrote:

> On Oct 02, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > Agreed. Concerning cmdline, I fear no .. lintian does something as
> > follows in perl for opentype, see
> >
> https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/lib/Lintian/Check/Fonts/Opentype.pm
> > (and Truetype.pm for a similar code)
> >
> > const my $PERMISSIONS_MASK => 0x0f;
> > const my $NEVER_EMBED_FLAG => 0x02;
> > const my $PRINT_PREVIEW_ONLY_FLAG => 0x04;
> > const my $EDIT_ONLY_FLAG => 0x08;
>
> any idea what flag bit 0x01 is used for ?
> and what's the idea of "EDIT_ONLY_FLAG" for fonts ?

According to the OTspec (
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/os2#fstype) the
"edit only" option means that a font (a) can be embedded in a document and
(b) can subsequently be transiently loaded onto a system opening the
document to edit the document. That's in contrast to "can be transiently
loaded onto a system for read-only usage of the document".

I suspect that the confusion of the _ONLY label is just due to sub-optimal
naming; I don't think the specification upstream matches that, semantically.
Nate
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com <http://identi.ca/n8>